Forgive me reader, for I have sinned


Forgive me reader, for I have sinned.  Many years ago (well three and a bit to be more precise), I did a very stupid thing.  I voted leave in the Brexit referendum.  It is not something I am proud of, and as soon as the leave result even looked likely I was already wishing that I could have changed my vote.  So some explanation/ penance is due to every other person on the entire planet for forcing all this rubbish on then on an almost daily basis for the last 1,168 days (and counting).  If you have read my previous posts about Brexit (https://oldandireland.blogspot.com/2018/11/brexit-dirty-word-in-any-european.html, or https://oldandireland.blogspot.com/2019/02/brexit-revisited.html), you may be surprised that I voted this way.

It’s not completely my fault, (says he trying to cover his tracks).  The politicians and every bit of media discussion on the vote seemed to be saying that remain votes would be the overwhelming majority.  I don’t mind the EU, frankly who thinks about government on a regular basis?  If it works well it should be like a good operating system on a computer; invisible.  But the EU has it’s faults.  To continue the last analogy, the EU is like Microsoft, accepted by the majority, but no-one actually likes it.  Things like the lack of accountability and the sheer power of its bureaucrats, or the periodic scandals about expenses or whatever.  Add to that the lies and misinformation on both sides of the debate that were prevalent in the run up to the poll and confusion reigned.  Even on my way into the poll, I was still undecided about whether to vote or deliberately spoil the voting paper.  My decision to vote leave was a spur of the moment thing that was supposed to help prevent a landslide remain majority.  In theory, it should have helped send a message to the EU that said, ‘OK, we are still here, but get your act in gear and make things better’.  Boy, did I get that one wrong!

So here we are.  It is all my fault.  The huge maelstrom of media rubbish and lunatic shouting outside Westminster, I am responsible for all of it, and It looks like I will never get the chance to take it back.

Sorry.

Feel free to post your hate mail here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Local History of the worst possible kind! The story of Carnage Hill.

Tilly.

The Great Storm - 22nd December 1894

MOT prep for modern cars.

An old mistake.

And then what?

Welcome

Neighbours can be such an unthinking pain in the you know what!!

Two Wrongs…….